- 30g/2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 175g/¾ Cup (Raw) Caster Sugar
- 1 Free-Range Egg (Lightly Beaten)
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butterscotch Schnapps (optional, but oh so worth it!)
- 265g/1¾ Cups Self-Raising Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 Apples (Peeled, Cored and Grated coarsely)
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
Into a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, egg, milk and Schnapps and stir well with a wooden spoon. Sift in the dry ingredients and fold them in lightly. Add the grated apple and once again fold lightly, until incorporated.
Spoon the batter carefully into the prepared tins and add a layer of Streusel Topping – instructions to follow below, after the photos…
Streusel Topping Ingredients
- 75g/½ Cup Plain Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 80g/½ Cup (Raw) Caster Sugar
- 45g/3 Tablespoons (Cold) Unsalted Butter
Sift the flour and cinnamon into a small bowl, then stir in the sugar to combine. Dice the butter into small cubes and then rub into the flour mixture, until resembling course bread-crumbs.
Sprinkle a good layer of Streusel over the tops of the cakes and then bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the middle.
Enjoy with a good cup of tea or coffee… or there’s always that leftover Butterscotch Schnapps! 😉