Ginger Crunch Slice

Ginger Crunch Slice | gatherandgraze.com

While jotting down some tips recently, for friends heading over to New Zealand in the summer time, I found myself reminiscing about all the wonderful places we visited when we lived there. Wellington of course, is where my memories are the happiest and the strongest. Our little family perched itself on the hillside there for two glorious years, only feeling grumpy through the winter when the sun’s rays didn’t touch the house or deck. Note to self… buy a North-facing property should we ever move back! Wellington (and New Zealand) is a magical place that I’d urge you all to experience at least once in your lifetime.

The following morning/afternoon tea treat brings back such fond memories as well. Almost weekly a dear friend and I would pick up a variety of slices and scones (often of the cheese and chive variety) from a cafe in Khandallah to share with our little ones who were too young for school. We’d make cups of China Rose Tea and nibble on these little pieces of deliciousness, chatting away while the children played happily with toy cars and lego. It truly was a special time and place.

Ginger Crunch is an iconic New Zealand slice… one that you will find recipes for, in the ‘Edmond’s Cookbook’ and many other kiwi cookbooks and websites. It’s base is crisp and crunchy like a biscuit and then topped with the most wonderful gingery fudge-like topping. If you’re a fan of ginger, I’m sure you’ll fall in love with this slice, just like I did. When I baked this the other day, I was running rather low on ground ginger, so decided to add mixed spice to the base instead – for me, this improved upon the slice, giving it a more balanced flavour and almost a hint of Christmas.

Ginger Crunch Slice | Gather and Graze

For the base:

• 115g/1 Stick Unsalted Butter (softened)
  • 80g/⅓ Cup (Raw) Caster Sugar
  • 190g/1¼ Cups Plain Four
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 2 Teaspoons Mixed Spice (or Ground Ginger if you want an extra kick of ginger)

For the topping:

• 80g/⅓ Cup Unsalted Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
  • 120g/1 Cup Icing (Powdered) Sugar
  • 3 Teaspoons Ground Ginger

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm slice tin with baking paper.

In an electric mixer, cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Sift together the remaining dry and ingredients and add them in 2 lots to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix together until just combined. Press this mixture evenly into the prepared slice tin and bake for approximately 18-20 minutes until golden.

While the base is cooking in the oven, prepare the topping by placing all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over gentle heat until melted, combined and smooth.

As soon as you remove the base from the oven, while it’s still hot, pour the topping over and spread it out evenly. Allow the slice to cool completely, before cutting into squares or fingers. A small tip is to use a hot knife (heated under a hot tap, then dried) when cutting this slice, to give nice smooth edges.

Store in an airtight container for up to a week (if it lasts that long!)

Ginger Crunch Slice | gatherandgraze.com

Advertisements

43 thoughts on “Ginger Crunch Slice

1. ChgoJohn

I’ve been to Oz and regret not taking some time to visit New Zealand, as well. One day …
    I’m not at all familiar with this kind of slice, Margot, and it looks like I’ve been missing out. Maybe not for long, though. I’ve a jar of Golden Syrup and found a link demonstrating how to make Mixed Spice. I’m closing in! 🙂

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

I hope you get to visit New Zealand one day too John! It’s a very special place… in some ways it felt more like home than Australia does. I still miss Wellington dearly! The slice (or bars, as you guys say in America 😉 ) is a delicious little treat to have (just one or two little squares at a time) with an afternoon or evening cup of tea or coffee. I hope you like them… love to hear how it goes if you give them a try!

2. Fae's Twist & Tango

Hi Margot, When I use ginger, I always have a stick of ginger I forget about. Ginger is so delicious and good for health. This is a VERY delicious and good way to consume ginger, I believe. 😉

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Thanks so very much Fae! It certainly does have many health benefits… I find it great for settling the stomach and for any mild nausea type ailments. It’s apparently really useful for fending off travel sickness as well. Hope you’re getting over your jet lag and getting back into the swing of things! 🙂

3. milkandbun

I would love to visit New Zealand one day! its on my ‘have to visit countries’ wish list 😀 Those bars seem to be very buttery, aren’t they? But look so yummy in the pink tin! 🙂

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

I very much hope you do get to visit NZ one day soon, it’s absolutely stunning and well worth the many hours of travelling to get there!
      The bars are certainly to be had as an occasional treat and not everyday food. There’s also less butter in these than you’ll find in most cakes/cupcakes with icing on top… and there’s no way I would substitute the butter for anything else – they just wouldn’t taste as delicious as they do. 🙂

4. Pingback: Inspiration (from my Internet Wanders…) | Bourbon & Brown Sugar

5. Johnny / Kitschnflavours

I sat and stared at this post the night you published. As I couldn’t figure how this would taste. And it was too late to leave a comment. Hmm, still can’t imagine! Shall have to try it out next week. Partly as I’m really into using caramels right now (ok, the topping isn’t really a caramel – or is it?). Have to admit, I wouldn’t have thought to use ginger. They do look delicious. And perfectly cut!

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Hi Johnny, thanks so much for your kind comment! The topping certainly isn’t chewy like a caramel… it’s perhaps more like a ginger infused Russian Fudge. Hopefully you’ll give it a go and let me know your thoughts. The base is definitely more of a biscuit, than a soft-baked slice (the ‘Crunch’ in the title is there for good reason)… though not too hard on the teeth at the same time. The original recipes all call for a ginger base and ginger topping, but I really love the extra complexity that the mixed spice brings in the base. Perhaps making it a little more moreish by doing so! 🙂

6. elizabethmilligan

Ooh love this recipe, just missing the golden syrup or I would give them a try today. Your post brings back fond memories of years spent living in NZ – Auckland and Queenstown for some months but Christchurch for a wonderful year. I know Edmond’s well! Thanks for the trip down memory lane 🙂

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Hi Elizabeth, it sounds like you fell in love with NZ as much as I did! Apart from the quiet, somewhat constant worry in the back of my head that an earthquake could come at any time, I found it to be the most wonderful, liveable country on earth. Can’t wait to go back for a holiday sometime soon! I hope you manage to pick up the missing ingredient and give the ‘Ginger Crunch’ a try – it’s really very yummy!

7. Chica Andaluza

Gorgeous – love ginger flavoured biscuits and desserts! Wellington is very beautiful – unfortunately I had hideous weather when I visited some years back (despite it being January) but it is a stunning country!

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

What a shame about the weather Tanya! It really can be extremely unpredictable and quite nasty when it wants to be… I hope you had some finer weather while travelling in other parts of New Zealand!

8. sam @ nourish

I love New Zealand! I was born there but left before forming any memories to take with me. When I returned about 15 years ago I was blown away by the amount of water everywhere (coming from drought-prone South Australia), the lush greenness of the countryside and the gorgeous dairy products. I’ve been meaning to go back ever since!

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Absolutely Sam… it’s such a vivid green, isn’t it?! Particularly on the North Island! We hope to get back there too in the next year or two – perhaps to do some walks with our boys, like The Queen Charlotte or Abel Tasman Tracks… and also to spend time with friends we haven’t seen in too many years!

9. Francesca

Your little bars look amazing and gorgeously cut! I love the pink container and the colors and composition of the first photo! New Zealand … sounds a dream … on our wish list!

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Thanks very much Francesca! Initially I was a little worried about how to go about photographing these bars, being brown on brown! Thankfully the pink cookie tin adds some much-needed prettiness and lightness to the photos. The tin was a very kind gift that I received from my youngest son’s soccer team just recently for helping them out during the season. Great to be able to feature it on the blog! 🙂
      The flights to New Zealand and Australia are long and expensive, yet so worth it when you actually get there. I very much hope your wish list comes true!

10. lemongrovecakediaries

Ahh Margot a memory from home, I lived in Wellington before I moved to Australia I loved it despite the wind :). I haven’t had a ginger slice since I was a teenager…quite some time ago haha. Yours look perfect I will have to dust of the Edmonds cook book and make some. Have a great weekend!

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Thanks Karen! Great to hear that you loved living in Wellington too – there’s really nowhere else like it in the world (especially on a fine sunny day).
      Next up might be a batch of Afghan Cookies – yet another favourite from our time in NZ!
      Hope you’re having a lovely weekend too!

11. tinywhitecottage

When I saw your photograph in my Reader my first thought was “wow! who make these? they are cut perfectly and look fantastic in that pink tin!” Then I read Gather and Graze…of course! Margot! They’re wonderful. I love little cut treat like this. What great memories of a your time in New Zealand when your children were young. Food has such a wonderful way of bringing back happy memories. Love the gingery fudge-like topping! You always post such lovely simple treats. 🙂

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Very kind of you Seana – thank you so much! These little treats disappeared WAY too fast… so moreish with a wonderful spice balance and absolutely perfect alongside a cuppa! It really is quite interesting how the brain can be transported instantly to another time and place from the simple taste of something! Love it when it happens! 🙂

12. ladyredspecs

Your slice looks delicious Margot, reminds me of my chidhood, Mum made many similar slices with a biscuit base and a fancy top. Our flight are booked we are visiting NZ early 2015. Yay…

1. Margot @ Gather and Graze Post author

Oh that’s so exciting! I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time! If you need any tips (foodie or otherwise) on Wellington, please don’t hesitate to ask… 🙂
      I have a real fondness for these kinds of Aussie/Kiwi slices… I think part of that is because they bring back those happy childhood memories… like you said!)

13. apuginthekitchen

Those little bars looks so good, I imagine them with a cup of tea, delicious. I have always wanted to visit New Zealand. I’ve seen photo’s and shows it looks incredible.

Love to hear your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s